Nobody knows better than you how you feel day to day. For this reason, you are truly the first line of defense in fighting chronic health problems. You have the opportunity to spot changes in your health status as soon as they emerge, and to seek timely treatment for these issues.
One chronic problem with which many adult patients are suffering is sleep apnea. Our Lincoln Park dentists provide the sleep apnea treatments that people need to stay well, but before we can help we need to know that there is a problem!
So we’re providing our patients with this list of common sleep apnea issues for which to be alert. If you do notice that you’re dealing with these problems, it’s a good idea to reach out for a professional assessment.
Because sleep apnea involves a patient’s relaxed oral tissues falling into his or her airway, this condition occurs at night.
You may notice:
· That you are gasping or choking awake at night—this happens because your body is not getting enough oxygen
· That you are snoring loudly—the noise may be so loud that it wakes you up or wakes up your sleeping partner
· That you are waking up with headaches, or dealing with headaches prior to bed
· That you are having trouble focusing/concentrating/remembering during the day
· That you feel irritable or depressed
· That you wake up with dry mouth—your mouth may be staying open all night in order to facilitate breathing
The good news is that sleep apnea is treatable—there are simple things that we can do to minimize sleep apnea’s impact on your daily life. So if you think that you may be suffering from sleep apnea, please contact our Lincoln Park dentists to schedule a consultation. We’re here to help you through the treatment process from start to finish!