If you have ever looked in the mirror and thought that your smile looks a little dark or stained, you certainly are not alone. Most adult dental patients notice dental staining at some point in their lives. The good news is that there are so many things that our Lincoln Park cosmetic dentists can do to improve the appearance of your smile!
Your smile might start to look stained and dark for a number of reasons.
· Over time environmental stains—from things like red wine, juices, coffee, tea, red sauces, and tobacco—accumulate on the dental enamel. This may result in yellow teeth and/or stains that appear like streaks on the teeth.
· Dental trauma can also cause a tooth to look gray or brown.
· As dental enamel—the white outer layer that covers the rest of the tooth—wears down over time, more of the yellow dentin (the tooth layer below the enamel) shows through to the surface of the tooth.
The specific treatment that is perfect for you will depend on what type of dental discoloration you are experiencing. Here are some common treatments:
1. Professional dental whitening treatment, in which we use whitening gels to lighten existing stains, is a fast and simple way to refresh your smile.
2. Another option for whitening your smile is dental bonding. Our dentist can apply dental resin over your problematic enamel in order to resurface it.
3. Porcelain dental veneers can also cover damaged and discolored dental enamel. Many people choose this whitening option when they have other cosmetic issues that they would like to address simultaneously (like crooked teeth, dental damage, and gaps between teeth).
Our Lincoln Park cosmetic dentists can answer any questions that you might have about how to whiten your smile. So give us a call, or submit your question on our Contact Us Page, in order to get started!