More and more patients are contacting our Lincoln Park dental office inquiring about obstructive sleep apnea. The truth is that this condition is common among adult patients, but it often goes undiagnosed, as people are not aware of the ways that sleep apnea manifests.
Our Lincoln Park sleep apnea dentists have put together this short explanation of some of the commons symptoms of sleep apnea. Or hope is that this information will enable you to seek treatment for obstructive sleep apnea as soon as it pops up.
Here are some of the symptoms of sleep apnea that you may notice as it first develops:
· Loud and persistent snoring—in fact, many people realize that they are dealing with sleep apnea because their sleeping partners start to complain about their snoring habits.
· Dry mouth at night
· Headaches in the morning and at night, especially before bed
As sleep apnea goes untreated and intensifies over time, you may notice an increase in existing symptoms as well as new red flags:
· Fatigue may intensify, and become further complicated by concentration and memory problems
· You may experience depression or mood fluctuations
· Sleep apnea may cause you to wake up throughout the night—you may experience a “choking sensation” which jolts you awake
Sleep apnea actually prevents your body from getting enough oxygen when you are asleep. When patients deal with low nighttime oxygen levels for a long period of time they are at higher risk of suffering from…
· Heart problems
· High blood pressure
· Depression and anxiety
· Low-birth-weight babies
The best thing that you can do if you believe that you or a loved one is suffering from sleep apnea is to reach out to a professional for an assessment and treatment. Our Lincoln Park sleep apnea dentists are here to answer questions and provide further guidance!