Children who receive high-quality and regularly scheduled dental care are less likely to suffer from a range of oral health issues, as well as dental anxiety in the future. Our Lincoln Park dentists firmly believe that pediatric dental care deliver benefits that extend far beyond childhood. Keep reading to learn more about the keys to pediatric dental care.
Optimize At-Home Care
One of the most important things that our dental team does is to help our young patients develop strong at-home oral hygiene habits. We talk to our pediatric patients about what a daily oral hygiene routine accomplishes, as well as how to clean most effectively. Here are some healthy oral hygiene habits we emphasize:
- Brushing your teeth twice a day—in the morning and at night
- Brushing your teeth for at least two minutes every time you brush
- Applying gentle pressure to buff away plaque
- Using an appropriate type of bristle to minimize plaque—for most children this means a soft-bristled brush
- Learning not to ingest toothpaste as you brush—children should not use a fluoridated toothpaste until they have learned not to swallow it.
Introduce Professional Dental Cleanings
In order to set your child up for a lifetime of healthy smiles, it is important that they have positive dental experiences early in life. Our dental team is here to help your child learn that we are there partners in dental care; that we provide support, not judgement.
Additionally, pediatric dental treatments minimize your child’s risk of suffering from cavities and gum disease. Preventive treatments like topical fluoride treatments and sealant applications can protect your child’s teeth from harmful oral bacteria.
Our Lincoln Park dentists provide dental care for patients of many ages. If you’re looking for a dental practice to care for your entire family, give us a call to learn more about the treatments we provide!