Taking simple preventive measures to safeguard your smile can pay off big time in the long run. It is always better to plan ahead and thus avoid damaging your smile in the first place, rather than having to spend the time and money necessary to fix your smile after a dental trauma.
With that in mind, our Lincoln Park dentists strongly recommend that our patients who play contact sports and take part in extreme physical activities wear mouth guards to protect their teeth.
Our dental team can fit you or your child for a personalized mouth guard that fits securely. This mouth guard is flexible enough to fit comfortably over your teeth, and it serves as a protective layer and buffer in case something comes into contact with your smile.
Here are some situations in which dental patients regularly wear protective mouth gear:
· Playing contact sports like football, soccer, lacrosse, hockey, and even basketball
· Taking part in physically demanding activities like rock climbing, skateboarding, skiing, and more
· When competing in bike, car, or motorcycle races
Although there are a number of types of over the counter mouth guards available today, it is much preferable to use a mouth guard that is designed by your dentist. When our dental team creates your mouth guard we are able to:
· Ensure a comfortable fit—you’re much more likely to wear your mouth guard religiously when it fits well
· Make sure that your bite is not negatively affected by the mouth piece—we don’t want the mouth guard to put unnecessary pressure on your temporomandibular joint
· Easily replace your mouth guard if it becomes damaged and unusable
Our Lincoln Park dentists are happy to provide you with additional information and guidance regarding protective mouth gear. Give us a call to schedule a consultation and get started!