Are you doing everything you can to deep-clean your smile at home? Our Lincoln Park dentist are here to optimize your daily cleaning your smile. Keep reading to get some easy-to-implement tips from our dental team…
Start With The Right Brush:
- You want to choose a brush with the softest bristles possible without sacrificing cleaning efficacy. Firm bristles may be too abrasive for dental enamel as well as oral tissues.
- Make sure that the head of the toothbrush you use is small enough to reach your back molars. These are the hardest teeth to reach, and thus easy areas for bacteria to build, cavities to develop, and gum disease to take root.
- Take care to replace your toothbrush every 3 to 4 months, and especially after recovering from an illness. Older brushes are less effective than ones with fresh bristles, and they can actually harbor bacteria.
Stick To The Plan:
- As you clean your smile, use small, gentle circular motions to buff plaque from your oral surfaces. Try not apply too much pressure, as this can lead to enamel thinning and gum tissue recession.
- Every time that you brush your smile, you want to do so for about two minutes. Try setting a timer; you may be surprised at just how long two minutes is! This is another reason it is crucial that you use gentle pressure.
- Finally, as you brush your smile don’t forget about your tongue! Oral bacteria can coat the tongue’s surface and cause hard-to-treat bad breath. You can add a tongue scraper into your routine for additional cleaning power.
If you want more information about super-charging your at-home dental routine, you can always reach out to our Lincoln Park dentists; we are here to help!